Autumn 2, Week 3
Theme - What's on the Menu?
This week we will be learning about the importance of eating a healthy, balanced diet. The children will learn that:
- Our bodies need food for energy and good health.
- Breads and cereals are important for nutrition.
- Fruit and vegetables are important for nutrition.
- Dairy and protein are needed for nutrition.
- Bodies need small amounts of fats and sugar to stay healthy.
- Food is sold at shops and markets.
- Food is sorted into categories in the supermarkets.
- Recipes can be followed to make lots of different meals.
- Talk to your grown-up about what foods you think are healthy and unhealthy.
- Watch the video on espresso about healthy eating and then complete the activity by sorting the different foods into healthy and unhealthy. https://central.espresso.co.uk/espresso/modules/ey_ourselves/healthy_eating/video_healthy_eating.html?source=search-all-F-all-all&source-keywords=healthy%20eating
- Design a healthy balanced meal. Draw pictures of the food that you choose. Remember to include some vegetables!
This week's story is...
Oliver's Fruit Salad
Listen to the story and then retell it to a grown-up.
What fruits did Oliver try?
What is your favourite fruit?
Write a shopping list of healthy foods. Remember to write the words in a list.
- Say the word that you are going to write.
- Listen for the sounds in order.
- Write down the sounds that you can hear.
- Practise writing your name everyday.
The home learning letter we sent out before the holidays will tell you what group your child is in for phonics. Please let us know if you need a new letter.
We are learning to read and write a different letter each day:
Watch the video on espresso about the letter.
Now tell your grown-up some words that start with today's sound. Finally have a go at writing the letter a few times.
Grown-ups: Every day, revisit the previous sounds that they have learnt.
Counting Activities (Please do at least one counting activity every day)
- I can count to 20 song with actions https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VLxWIHRD4E
- Rally Robin counting to 20. (Adult and child face each other. Adult says 1, child says 2, adult says 3, child says 4 and so on until you get to 20)
- Every time you go upstairs, count the steps. Remember to say 1 number name for each step.
- Counting actions. Jump 10 times and count as you do it.
This week, we are learning to recite the days of the week.
- Listen to the days of the week song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKqAblcwFOA
- Talk to your grown-up about what you do on different days?
- What days do we go to school?
- What day comes after Monday?
- What day comes before Sunday?
Finally, practise ordering number on the online game 'Bud's Number Garden'. https://www.bbc.co.uk/games/embed/education-ivor-starting-school?exitGameUrl=https%3A%2F%2Fbbc.co.uk%2Fbitesize%2Farticles%2Fzd4b382